Bulgaria Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 125 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $30,000 to $40,000
- Profile of Children: 61% are between five and 12 years old (2011).
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 15 years older than the adoptive child.
- Family Status: Both married couples and singles may adopt.
- Travel: Two trips of approximately seven to ten days are required.
- Timeline: The time frame is unpredictable, and can range from several months to several years.
Bulgaria Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Bulgaria in your state:
The Adoption Council in Bulgaria adheres strictly to the principle that their job is to find parents for children in need, and not the other way around. Because of this, adoption applications are not handled in chronological order. Applications for special-needs children are handled first, and the wait times are considerably shorter.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Articles from Adoptive Families Magazine
- Through the Glass
A mother reflects on how she and her daughter met as strangers and grew to become family.
- How Jesse Learned to Play
A little boy adjusts to his new life in America, after living in an orphanage in Bulgaria.
Helpful Web Resources for Bulgaria Adopters