Ecuador Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 15 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $40,000
- Profile of Children: Many children are older, have special needs, or are siblings.
- Parent Ages: Couples must be married for at least three years, and both spouses must be over 25. Both parents must be between 14 and 45 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Both heterosexual married couples and singles are eligible to adopt. If single, there are additional requirements to adopt a child of the opposite sex.
- Travel: Parent(s) are generally required to stay in Ecuador for four to five weeks to finalize an adoption. Both parents must be present for the first three weeks of the adoption process, and at least one parent must complete the process (which generally takes an additional five weeks).
- Timeline: Generally between nine and 16 months.
Ecuador Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Ecuador in your state:
Intercountry adoptions from Ecuador are permitted only under exceptional circumstances, when there are no relatives or Ecuadorian citizens willing to care for a child. Prior to adoption, children are cared for in orphanages, where circumstances and the quality of care vary considerably.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Helpful Web Resources for Ecuador Adopters