Hong Kong Adoption
Hong Kong Fast Facts:
- 2012 Adoptions: 12 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $15,000 to $25,000
- Profile of Children: Children must be between six months and 18 years old. Most children are 5 years old or younger.
- Parents' Ages: Adoptive parents must be between 25 and 45. These requirements may be waived for older or special-needs children.
- Family Status: Both married couples and singles may adopt. For singles, preference is given to those with special parenting skills (such as nursing), and those who already have a special-needs child.
- Travel: Parents should plan to make at least one trip to Hong Kong, and stay for about a week.
- Timeline: Adoptions are generally completed in 12 to 24 months, but it can take longer if the adoptive parents have specific requests.
Hong Kong Adoption Directory
Find an adoption agency placing children from Hong Kong in your state:
The government of Hong Kong shows a preference for adoptive parents that are ethnically Chinese. Parents of other ethnicities have an easier time adopting older or special-needs children.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamilies
Best Web Resources for Hong Kong Adopters